Amidst the growing cries of sluggish economies and depreciating growth rates, if there is one thing that’s up to the pace (even more) it’s technology. The rapid growth that technology has seen in the past few decades has surpassed even our imaginations. Its swift strides make us look ahead with eyes full of wonder. It is remarkable how technology has brought us closer, to the point where physical boundaries are insignificant. Technology has made us embrace the concept of ‘Globalization’ in its true sense. Even the socially sidelined groups from the SC/ST/OBC community can reap the benefits of technology. It has become easy to apply for SC ST scholarship, OBC scholarship, minority scholarship, etc.
The footprints of technological growth can be seen everywhere around us, be it healthcare, education, transport, manufacturing or communication. It has made our lives much more convenient, thus sparing us the time to pursue other interests. Google is no longer just a search engine. It has become our daily companion, efficiently making cross-utilization of data to provide us with personalized results. Currently, about 77% of the world’s population is online, and the development of telecommunication tools is a major factor behind this.
Education too hasn’t been completely untouched by this digital revolution. In the past few years, the education sector has seen a major digitization drive. In India, it can be credited to the adoption of the ‘Digital India’ initiative. The government has been persistently promoting Digital India and the results are impressive. Almost all of the educational institutions, private as well as public, have now shifted their operations online. This means the students can now easily search for academic programs, look up fee structure, check eligibility criteria, apply for online scholarships and access course curriculum.
Such an environment is healthy for education-based businesses, most notably education technology businesses (also known as EdTech). EdTech companies provide varied solutions to their customers, primarily to students. Students can benefit from a number of services that are now available to them at the click of a button.
Benefits of education portals
A student can get benefited from education portals in a number of ways. Some of the benefits are:
- Students can get online classes, decide the course of choice, the duration of the class and a tutor of their choice. Moreover, the fee for such online classes is very competitive. This makes online education portals attractive.
- There are a plenty of scholarships available to students. Using education portals, they can easily update themselves about the available scholarships and even apply for an online scholarship. Even if the student is looking for specific scholarships like minority scholarship, SC ST scholarship, merit-based scholarship or means-based scholarship, these portals can easily search for them. Buddy4Study and National Scholarship Portal are prominent websites which provide scholarship support.
- Students can check out the course curriculum from any institution around the world and can then make an informed decision about the same.
- Some education portals like Buddy4Study even help students in applying for educational loans. They provide information, find the right loan and provide support for the loan application.
- Students can master themselves with a variety of skills. They can select the course of their choice and even choose their preferred instructor.
- There are many education portals where students can enroll in a certification course and upgrade their skills while being in the comforts of their home.
- Gives students the opportunity to take mock tests and prepare for competitive exams.
The advent of these education portals is rapidly changing the scenario of the education sector. They have started giving tough competition to conventional classroom-based education. It won’t be entirely unreasonable to expect technology-based education to overshadow traditional practices in the near future. Whatever the outcome be, one thing is certain that the students will be the biggest beneficiaries.